• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Nicole and Troy
A week overdue, Demerol, Epidural, near emergency c-section due to low heartbeat, Vaginal Delivery

I was due with my first pregnancy on July 16, 1994. Three weeks before my due date I started bleeding very bad and was rushed to the hospital to be checked out. I found out that I had lost my mucus plug and I was three centimeters dilated. My doctor sent me home and told me to wait until my water broke and I was having contractions two - three minutes apart for two hours. So that is what I did.

I was five days past my due date and my husband and I had been staying at the beach with his parents all week long. It was a typical night like any other; we ate supper, showered and went to bed. At about 1:00 a.m. I woke up and was wet "down there." My first thought was that I had wet myself due to my bladder not being too strong this far along in my pregnancy. I got up and went to the bathroom and realized that my water had broken! At 4:00 a.m. I was having contractions two to five minutes apart and so I called my doctor, my mother, my mother- in-law and my sister, and then I woke my husband up. We got to the hospital at about 4:30 a.m. and I was admitted.

Things went pretty slow at first. At about 9:00 a.m. the doctor gave me a shot of Demerol to help with the pain. Boy did it ever!!! I went to sleep and when I woke up they gave me another shot but it did not have the same effect on me as the first one did. By now it was 11:30 a.m. and my contractions were coming on pretty hard. Finally the anesthesiologist came in and gave me an epidural. A few minutes later I told my mother that I felt like I had to use the bathroom and she told me to wait and let her go get the nurse to check me. I was 5 cm dilated when I got my epidural and when the nurse checked me I had jumped to 8 1/2 cm. Within a few more minutes I was fully dilated and ready to push!

The doctor came in around 3:15 to get things started and I began pushing at 3:45. I had been pushing for 30 minutes when the nurse noticed that during contractions the baby's heart rate would down to about 30 beats per minute. This was not good news. The doctor decided that I needed to push through one contraction and then breathe through two, so that I could give the baby some air. This is very hard to do when you are in hard labor! After doing this for an hour and a half or longer the doctor started explaining the procedure of an emergency caesarian. I was not happy with the outcome of how things were going. My doctor decided that to get an accurate heart rate on the baby that they would have to put a monitor in the top of his head. Once they did this and discovered that his heart rate was very low they told me if I could not push him out that they would have to start preparing me for the c-section. I decided that this was it; I was going to get him here safe and sound. After three more pushes he was out!! But we were not in the clear yet. The umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck and he was blue in the face. They rushed him to the table and started working on him. My husband went over to see if everything was all right with our son. Oh yeah, we had a BOY! Finally he began to cry and I fell in suit right behind him.

We had a 7 pound 4-1/2 ounce, 20-1/4 inches long beautiful baby boy!! It was no piece of cake, but it was every bit worth it!


Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support