• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Tina and Tyler
Emergency C-Section, Placental Abruption, 6 Week NICU Stay

The story of my baby's birth was not one of the happiest moments of my life, in fact, is was one of the most terrifying experiences a person could ever have.

My story all begins the evening of January 8, 1999. It was around 7:00 p.m. and my husband and I were out to dinner. We just finished up and was about to leave when I needed to go to the bathroom. When I got in there my water broke. I couldn't believe it, the moment I had been waiting for, for so long, was finally here (my due date was five days earlier). As I was walking out of the restaurant I looked up at my husband, Steve, and said, "I think my water just broke, but I don't feel like I'm in labor."

It took about four minutes to get to the hospital, though it seemed like forever. When we pulled into the emergency entrance, I was feeling a lot more water coming out. Then I got out of the car and realized it wasn't water; it was blood.

By the time I got upstairs and my doctor checked me out, I was bleeding down my legs and onto my shoes. Once he realized how serious it was, I had to have an emergency c-section. I didn't quite know what was going on; it happened so fast. This was my first child so I was new at this. All I did know was something definitely wrong.

My baby, Tyler Steven Moore, was born at 8:32 p.m., weighing 6 lbs.14 oz., 21 inches long. When I woke up, Steve was standing beside me crying. I instantly knew something terrible happened. Especially when that was the first time I had ever seen him cry. I was in so much pain I didn't know what to say or do. I looked at him and asked if the baby was okay, and he said he didn't know. They had me hooked up to so many things I was in a daze. I was in tears instantly.

Later I found out my placenta started separating and then burst, causing my child to be born with three fourths of his blood missing and almost no oxygen. I lost 50% of my blood also. He instantly had to have oxygen after birth and had to have and IV started in his belly button. They didn't think he was going to make it.

Thirty-six hours went by before he had to be life-flighted to a bigger city. So I said hello and good-bye to my baby not knowing if the next time I saw him he would be dead or alive. He was hooked up to so many machines, it was hard to look at him. His flight took an hour, and he had his last seizure during it (he had five seizures total due to the loss of blood and oxygen). With all the commotion going on, I had to get released and go to my baby. Steve and I left town not knowing how long we would be gone or how our other two kids would be (Steve has two kids from a previous marriage that live with us).

By the time we got there, they had thoroughly checked Tyler out and told us he was in serious condition. All his organs had been damaged except his lungs and heart. He wasn't urinating and his body wasn't functioning; basically he was dying. They told us he had a 40% chance to make it overnight. They said it was up to Tyler; he will make the decision. That night was the worst night anyone could go through. Steve and I were talking about donating his heart because he was so strong to make it this far. Every time the phone rang in our motel room that night, I panicked thinking it was going to be the hospital telling us he died.

Morning arrived and my baby survived miraculously! They said he was one strong kid and was a fighter. Now he had to overcome many obstacles along the way. First he had to start urinating. There was and still is a chance of brain damage because of all this but we pray every night that our little boy will grow up to be perfect in every way. As other mothers were holding their babies with joy, I got to touch my baby's hands, scared to death of leaving any germs on him. There was so many bruises from IVs, eventually they ran out of places to put them so they put a central IV in which goes to a bigger vein. They had to cut his stomach open to do this. He had so many tubes hooked up to him, I could hardly look at him with out looking away and crying. Steve hung in there and talked to him everyday and told him we loved him very much,and to be strong and hang in there.

Days went by and he slowly improved, started urinating more and more. The doctors said they had never seen kidney levels as bad as his. Then we found out the reason he had such a bad infection in his stomach was from a hole in his intestine. He had to have intestinal surgery. It was successful, though he had to have an ostomy bag since he was too weak to get it repaired right then. At two weeks old, he got off IVs and started eating breastmilk. He wasn't gaining so they added polycose to add calories. That still didn't work so they gave him similac with iron to add with the others. He finally started gaining very slowly. He actually lost 10 ounces before gaining again.

The hardest thing was we had to go home without our new baby. Work was waiting for us and two kids; it was time. We started going up there on his days off. It was so hard to say good-bye to Tyler every week. Weeks went by and things continuously got better. He moved to a crib and had less things hooked up to him. The worst was behind us. He had MRIs and EEGs done on his brain on a regular basis. They don't tell if he actually has brain damage; they just tell if he has activity going on, and other things of course. They first looked bad but were improving with each one done. The highlight of our trip to see him was being able to feed him. That's the only time we could hold him. I actually never got to hold him until he was a week and a half old. It made me so nervous to hold him cause he was hooked up to so many wires but it got better in time.

On February 17, 1999, six weeks later, we finally got to bring Tyler home. It was exciting and scary all at the same time. He had medicines to take at certain hours everyday, he had an ostomy bag to take care of, and most of all he could not be around anyone. The doctors said if he got sick, he would go to the hospital again, not to mention that it's still possible for him to have another seizure, though he hasn't since he was two days old.

Tyler is now 4 1/2 months old and weighs around 11 lbs. and is the most beautiful baby!! The doctors say he is a miracle. He acts like any baby should; he is developing well and he may just come out of this with just a few scars and a bunch of bad old memories!! He still has regular visits to the pediatrician here and also in Omaha, (that's where he was life-flighted and stayed for six weeks). He went back and had his ostomy reconnected in the end of March and it went very well.

Someone once told me God gives out only what he knows you can handle and there's a reason for everything he does! He gave me Tyler and with him a lot of hope and courage, but most of all he made me realize not to take things for granted and to be thankful for what you have!

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support