• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Rhonda and Weston Allan
Vaginal delivery, six weeks premature

My husband and I had some friends staying in town so we were sleeping downstairs on our sleeper sofa. I woke up about 5:00 am on Sunday, March 11, 2001 having a little pain. I drank some water and went to the bathroom and went and laid back down on my left side. I wasn't thinking anything about having my baby yet because I still had six weeks to go. I went back to sleep and woke up an hour later and felt wetness underneath me, I ran upstairs to the bathroom and noticed that I was bleeding, so I flew down the stairs and told my husband we needed to go to the hospital right away.

We called and met my doctor at the hospital. They then put me on the fetal monitor and found my baby's heartbeat, which was a great relief to me because I had not felt movement in awhile. My doctor did a couple of cultures but she could not be conclusive that my membranes had ruptured. She also did an ultrasound but only saw a little "graying" of the placenta, so she ordered a level II ultrasound for the next day. They continued to monitor me throughout that Sunday. I was only having very mild cramp-like feelings in my back and was only dilated to one cm, so around 7:00 pm they let me go ahead and eat something. They moved me out of Labor & Delivery and my doctor put me on very restricted bed rest in the hospital for at least two weeks. Around 10:30 that night I made my husband go home. We live only three minutes from the hospital (we had timed it on the way to our childbirth class). I told him I would be there at least two weeks and that he needed to go get some rest. I would call him if anything changed.

Around 12:30 a.m. on March 12, 2001 I started having terrible back pain. They hooked me back up to the monitor but it wasn't reading my back labor contractions. The L&D nurse called my doctor and then checked me. I was at 10 cm and that baby was coming out! Again, it still hadn't hit me until the L&D nurse said I was having a baby right now that I was actually having a baby right now!

So before we went back to Labor and Delivery I tried calling my husband. Due to our guests, we had turned our phone ringer upstairs off, so I screamed into the answering machine and the nurses told me they would keep calling him. The wonderful L&D nurse, Shirley, told me she would call my parents and have them stop by my house and get my husband. He finally heard the phone ringing and jumped out of bed; he missed the call but saw the six messages on the machine and knew something was going on. On his way out the door, the hospital finally got a hold of him and told him I was in labor. This was our first baby and all our child birthing classes had said first labors last around 14 hours or so. We both thought we had plenty of time. That night we had a terrible snowstorm and that three minute drive turned into a 10 minute one. Once my husband got to the hospital, there was a tyrant security guard who made him wear a visitor pass and took a good five minutes trying to find a pen to write the date.

During the time my husband was trying to make his way back to the hospital and me and our soon-to-be-born little one, they took me back to L&D. Everything was such a blur and they kept saying, "we're just going to take her to the back." I had no idea that the "back" was the O.R. They rolled me into the O.R. and once I was in there I heard them say that Mr. Whittaker was on his way. I was very relieved that he would be there to witness this miracle.

My doctor still wasn't in the O.R. yet, so I thought my husband had time! Well, he did make it upstairs to L&D, but then he had to put scrubs on because of me being in the OR. During the time he was putting his scrubs on my doctor came in and I began pushing. I only had to push three times before my little "peanut" Weston Allan was born at 2:16 am. His daddy walked into the room at 2:18 am. He luckily got to go with the NICU staff and see what was happening with our son.

Weston weighed 4 lbs 9 oz. He was given just a little bit of oxygen when he first came out but other than that, he was breathing on his own and got moved to the NICU "step down" unit just two days later. He had to stay in the hospital for 11 days to make sure was gaining at an accepting rate. He came home to a very happy and relieved mommy and daddy on March 23. He is now a very happy and healthy, although still little peanut baby!

Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support