• Stories Home

• Vaginal Birth
• Cesarean Birth
• Home Birth
• Twins
• Special Deliveries

Elsewhere on StorkNet:
• Pregnancy

• Childbirth Cubby
• Homebirth Cubby
• C-Sections Cubby
• VBAC Cubby
• Pregnancy Week
 By Week

Select a Week

StorkNet's Week By Week Guide to Pregnancy

Baby Namer

Enter a name
or words that
appear in its

Birth Stories at StorkNet ~ your pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and parenting community
Dawn and Zackary
Pre-term Labor, Induced Labor, Epidural, Vaginal Delivery

We were due December 28 and after dealing with pre-term labor for weeks and signs of distress, we decided to induce on the 28th. We had to be at the hospital at 5:45 that morning, scheduled to have the water broken at six. As it was, the doctor was running late, so we ended up getting another 2.5 hours of sleep.

About 8:30, the doctor checked my cervix. We were still at 1/5 cm, 30% effaced. As our luck goes he tried to break our water and thinks he only scratched it, that it was still high. Our plan was to break the bag and walk, but we got to start the bag of pitocin to get things going. With our first, once I hit 4cm, things went quickly. The pit was started at 9:10 and for the next 8.5 hrs we sat around and looked at each other.

Our doctor came back in about 5:30 and asked the second shift nurse why I wasn't in labor. She didn't know. My cervix was checked again and was 2-2.5 cm. My doctor stretched it to a 3. Next we had an internal monitor added and pit turned up again. The doctor and nurse checked the chart and found out that the first nurse hadn't been upping the pit as she had been told to.

We had already decided for the epidural so around 7:30 they put in the catheter. This was done ahead of time because of the number of labors going on and there were two sets of twins to be delivered. The contractions were slowly getting to the point that I had to stop talking and concentrate to get through them. They were about 2-3 minutes apart 60-70 seconds long. At this point the only way to handle them was to stand on the stool and hang over Mike's shoulders and to sit between them. But by the time I sat down, I had to stand up again. After about 30 minutes of this, we called the nurse to be checked ~ 4 cm, 90% effaced. The call was made to start the epidural, but I was told once it was started to give it about 10-15 minutes for relief.

By this time it was time for our third nurse of they day. As she came in, I was crying and squeezing Mike's hand so hard he was starting to bruise. After about 45 minutes, they gave me a shot of fentanol to help the pain and tried to find out why I was still feeling the contractions. As it turns out the catheter line had twisted.

About 12:30 am, the doctor came in to check on how we were doing, expecting me to be at 7-8 cm. I was 10 cm, 100% effaced, +2 station. The doctor went to check on another patient and the nurse wants to see how the pushing goes. We gave it one contraction, and the next thing I knew, there are two more nurses in to get the room ready. Once we got the room ready, it was about 1:00 am on the 29th. We pushed through four contractions and his head came out, with the next his body. It was now 1:12 am, he is laid on my stomach, and we are trying to stimulate him, he didn't want to cry. The nurse took him to check him over. He was fine; he had swallowed a lot of fluid.

We have our second son ~ Zackary Parker. His apgars were 7 and 9. He weighed 7 lbs, 4 oz, 20 inches. At discharge he had only lost 2 oz and at his two month check up, he weighed 12.9 pounds. How fast they grow up on us!

Read Dawn's First Birth Story


Copyright © 1996-2016 StorkNet. All rights reserved.
Please read our disclaimer and privacy policy.
Your feedback is always welcome. Link to Us!

StorkNet Family of Websites:
StorkNet's Blog | Pregnancy Week By Week | Exploring Womanhood | Books for Families | EriChad Grief Support